Thursday, February 13, 2014

Noro Taiyo

Noro yarns caught my eye the last time I was in the Yarn Barn looking for yarn for my daughter's shawl. She wanted something washable so that ruled out the Noro. A couple weeks ago I took advantage of their storewide sale and picked up two skeins of Noro Taiyo in color 41. If you've never seen Noro yarns, the colorways are amazing. The fiber is a blend of cotton, silk and wool and the colors flow from one to another with no set repeat. I decided to use the yarn as both the warp and the weft despite some concern about how the colors would interact. I warped on one skein 63 ends 123" long on a 7.5 reed - I like long scarves!

I'm definitely a beginner at weaving, one thing that has me mystified is the difference between warp faced and weft faced weaves. I understand what they are but not how one plans to create one or the other. Well, this scarf turned out to be warp faced, when the Noro was warped on it created definite stripes of varying widths. When used as weft, especially on rather narrow (7.5") scarf,  the striped warp is dominate. Turns out I could have used some of the second skein to make the scarf 8" and still had enough to use as the weft, skeins are 100g and I have 39g left. I'm sure I'll find a project to use the left over!

No comments:

Post a Comment